Moving into your first place is an exciting time! But, as you know there are a lot of things that you need that you may not have thought about. We hope to provide a guide of some of the homeowner essentials so that when the time comes you have them available.
Items every homeowner should have handy:
- Extension cord. You may not think you need one, but when you have your own place there are a lot of things that need to be plugged in. Whether it’s your TV, DVD player, cable box, alarm clock, stereo, lamp, cell phone, and so on you may need more plugins than you have available in a specific area of your home.
- Tools. You’ve made it this far without owning your own set of tools, but now since you’ve stepped into the role of homeowner you are going to need to take care of a few things yourself. Don’t be without a hammer, screwdriver, stud finder, ratchet set, and even a pair of scissors because things will need tightened up or cut off and you don’t want to call for help (all the time).
- Emergency kit. Whether it’s band-aids, water bottles, rubbing alcohol, canned foods, extra change of clothes, blankets, batteries, or a flashlight it’s important to have an emergency kit in place in case you need to grab it and go. It’s also important just to know where all of these important items are without scrambling in the dark to try and find them.
- Cleaning supplies. It may seem like a no-brainer but there are a lot of things that need to be cleaned or disinfected when you have a home. People get sick and touch doorknobs or the counters need to be wiped off after cooking. Also, don’t forget things like air fresheners to keep your place smelling good for when company arrives.
- Step-ladder. You will have to check your batteries in your smoke-detectors and wipe away spider webs so don’t forget this essential item. Also, if you have the room you may want to purchase a regular ladder for outside work such as hanging Christmas lights. After all, you don’t want to be the only house on the block without the festive lights and blow up reindeer on the roof.
We know that there are still many more things you will need as a new homeowner, but we hope that we provided you with some helpful tips. Good luck and enjoy your first home!
If you are ready to buy or sell a home, be sure to give us a call today to speak with one of our expert realtors.